How to get the most out of your final semester at Rider
The last semester leads seniors to a major accomplishment — graduation and then starting a career or attending graduate school. While upperclassmen stride toward completing their undergraduate experience, they should be aware of several important steps and events so they can finish strong.
The countdown to Commencement is on. Make sure you're ready!
- Career Development and Success (CDS) offers many resources to assist students in their search for employment including these tips for staying on the right path.
- Make time for your career research. Use online resources such as Handshake, Vault and Candid Career to research careers, as well as in-person resources by talking to career advisors, professors, former supervisors and classmates.
- Prepare for employers. Develop an error-free resume and have a career advisor review it. It’s also important to update and clean up your online presence, including LinkedIn, Handshake and social media accounts.
- Get involved and build relationships. CDS holds career fairs, information sessions, networking programs and other events that serve as opportunities for you to connect with others in your field of interest.
- Use the Career Interests functionality on Handshake to receive job notifications and keep an eye out for emails from faculty regarding jobs, networking opportunities or professional events.
- Prepare for interviews by scheduling a mock interview with a career advisor and attend a dress for success event to review proper professional attire.
- Besides passing classes and satisfying credit requirements, students must take three steps to graduate.
- Complete a degree application before March 1. Applications can be found in MyRider under “My Academic Tools.”
- Pay the graduation application fee due at the time of degree application.
- Pre-order your cap and gown at https://rider.shopoakhalli.com
- After applying for graduation and pre-ordering their academic attire, students should visit Senior Send-Off in the BLC Cavalla Room from noon to 7 p.m. on April 26 to get their graduation gear and participate in other offerings.
- Pick up academic attire, tickets and parking passes for graduation.
- Enter raffles for select prizes.
- Stop by the Office of Alumni Relations table for a free gift and learn about the many benefits that Rider graduates are eligible for.
- Check out custom Rider diploma frames and school rings.
- Once the semester winds down to its final days, seniors are invited to enjoy their last week with their classmates by enjoying plenty of fun events!
- Register from April 2-6 by visiting the Office of Campus Life in the BLC from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Choose which events you'd like to attend. From the Senior Ball to the Senior BBQ at the president's house, these are unique experiences you will never be able to have again.
- Transition into the alumni community www.rider.edu/bold. Participate in the BOLD (Broncs of the Last Decade) Program and attended reunions.
- Graduates can attend events and programs designed for those who have graduated in the last 10 years, or have a role on the BOLD council, assisting these initiatives. Graduates have their first reunion as Rider alumni on June 9. Reconnect with fellow alumni at the Rider Reunions and reminisce while enjoying a fun-filled event.